The Brewers Association created the World Beer Cup in 1996 and it is considered “the most prestigious beer competition in the world.” Awards were given out every two years, but last year the competition was annualized making this the first time there are back-to-back competitions. Prior to last year, the last competition was in 2018.
With it being “the most prestigious beer competition in the world” parameters need to be established for gold, silver, and bronze. Here is the breakdown of each medal a ccording to the Award Criteria and Judging page for the competition:
- Gold Medal – world class beer that accurately exemplifies the specified style, displaying the proper balance of taste, aroma and appearance.
- Silver Medal – An excellent beer that may vary slightly from style parameters while maintaining close adherence to the style and displaying excellent taste, aroma and appearance.
- Bronze Medal – A fine example of the style that may vary slightly from style parameters and/or have minor defects in taste, aroma, or appearance.
Here are the winning breweries and brews from Michigan!
The Mitten Brewing Co (Grand Rapids)
- Bronze – Field Beer – Imperial Peanuts & Crackerjack
Redwood Brewing Co (Flint)
- Gold – Belgian-Style Tripel – Nectar of the Gods
To view all of the 2023 winners, click here.